1903 – 2003
Towards the end of the nineteenth century Liverpool came to be recognised as the “English Metropolis of Wales as regards population and commercial enterprise, and an organised survey made at the time revealed that nearly ten per cent of the city’s population was Welsh-speaking. Therefore it is not surprising that at the beginning of the present century, the idea was born of establishing a Lodge into which “none shall be admitted as members unless he is of Welsh descent.”
As far back as 1877 the Ancient Briton Lodge, No. 1675, had been founded, giving membership to natives of Wales, but not confining it strictly to that nationality.
At 8pm on Friday 28th November 1902 a meeting of the intending founders of the proposed Welsh Lodge for Liverpool was held at the Masonic Hall, Hope Street Liverpool. Several resolutions were made regarding the first Officers of the Lodge, and also that the Lodge be named “Dewi Sant”, and it would meet in the Masonic Hall, Hope Street, Liverpool on the third Friday of the month. It was also agreed that the Founder’s fee would be £3.3s.0d, the same to cover the cost of the Founder’s Jewel.
The Executive Committee Meeting that was held on Tuesday 20th January 1903 was under the name of St David’s Lodge No. 2950 there is no record of when or why the name was changed. Amongst the matters dealt with was that the cost of the Consecration Banquet should not exceed 6/= (six shillings) per head exclusive of wine. (What a Banquet they enjoyed! – the menu is reproduced at the end of this page).
The application for a charter for this other new Lodge was successful, and on Friday, 20th February, 1903, one of the largest and most influential gatherings of Masons assembled at the Masonic Hall, Hope Street, Liverpool, to witness the consecration of the St. David’s Lodge, No. 2950, by W.Bro. Robert Wylie, P.G.D.Eng., P.Pr.G.M., in the absence of W.Bro. The Earl of Lathom, Pr.G.M. There were present at this ceremony ten consecrating officers, twenty members and one hundred and thirty-four visitors; of this number one hundred and twenty were installed Masters.
S.W.; W.Bro. George E. Marsden, P.Pr.J.G.W. as J.W.; the Rev. E. E. Goodacre. P.M. as Chaplain; W.Bro. H. F. Burrows, P.Pr.G.D. as D.C.; W.Bro. William Goodacre, Pr.G.Sec.; W.Bro W. H. C. Trense, Pr.G.D. as S.D., W.Bro. R. Owen, Pr.G.D. as J.D.; W.Bro. C. S. Walker, Pr.D.G.Reg. as I.G.; and W.Bro. W. J. Doran, Pr.D.G.R. as Tyler.
In such capable hands, the dignified ceremony of Consecration was most impressive and an inspiration to those present including those who were later responsible for shaping the destiny of the new Lodge.
There were twenty-one Founders of the St. David’s Lodge:
|W.Bro. Thomas Edwards, P.Pr.G.Treas.||Bro. Benjamin Hughes, No. 1620|
|W.Bro. R. R. Roberts, P.M. No. 1094||Bro. John R. Prichard, No. 1675|
|W.Bro. John Jones, P.M. No. 1356||Bro. John Williams, No. 1756|
|W.Bro. G. Jones Roberts, W.M. No. 249||Bro. J. H. Gough, No. 1675|
|W.Bro. Edwin A. Davies, P.M. No. 1013||Bro. T. Y. Davies, No. 1393|
|W.Bro. Joseph E. Fisher, Pr.G.D. (S. Wales)||Bro. Thomas Morgan, No. 2889|
|Bro. Baron H. Williams, J.W. No. 2872||Bro. R. H. Morgan, No. 2889|
|W.Bro. Samuel Jones, P.Pr.G.D.(Cheshire)||Bro. J. V. Roberts, No. 1094|
|Bro. John E. Jones, No. 2814||W.Bro. J. T. Jones, P.M. No. 1675|
|Bro. Henry Jones, No. 594||W.Bro. J. C. Thomas, W.M. No. 594|
|Bro. Henry B. Lloyd, No. 1013||Bro. Henry B. Lloyd, No. 1013|
These Founders gave a donation in the name of the Worshipful Master to each of the four West Lancashire Charities.
After the Lodge was consecrated, W.Bro. Thomas Edwards was installed as its first Worshipful Master; he, in turn, appointed and invested the following Brethren as his officers:-
|W.Bro. R. R. Roberts, S.W.||Bro. Henry Jones, J.D.|
|W.Bro. John Jones, J.W.||Bro. T. Y. Davies, Org.|
|Bro. Baron H. Williams, Treas.||Bro. Henry B. Lloyd, I.G.|
|W.Bro. Edwin A. Davies, D.C.||Bro. J. H. Gough, S.S.|
|W.Bro. Griffith Jones Roberts, Sec.||Bro. Thomas Morgan, J.S.|
|W.Bro. Samuel Jones, P.Pr.G.D.(Cheshire), I.P.M.||W.Bro. Joseph E. Fisher, Pr.G.D.(South Wales), Char. Rep.|
|Bro. John E. Jones, S.D.||Bro. J. Wiatt, Tyler.|
In this way the foundations of the Lodge were laid. Of the Worshipful Masters of the Lodge who have now joined the Grand Lodge above, it may be said that they were nearly all prominent members of, or intimately connected with, one or other of the thirty to forty Welsh churches or chapels on Merseyside, which conducted their services and proceedings entirely in Welsh. It is not surprising, therefore, that they had a definite determination that the Ritual should be conducted at a high level, and that officers should be so schooled in the work, that in performing the ceremony itself their whole concentration should be given to impressing the candidate – from Initiate to Master Elect – with the message to be conveyed. They were anxious to create an atmosphere of homeliness and distinction in the Lodge; to lay down sound traditions set in the firm foundation of their common heritage. In this determination they succeeded notably. The creditable manner in which the later Worshipful Masters carried on their work is known to the present members.
The Class of Rehearsal – the “seiat” of the Lodge – gives the officers competence and confidence. Those who attend regularly get to know each other more intimately than by coming only to Lodge meetings.
The Lodge members were seafaring Brethren from North Wales; when they retired from the sea to their native places they usually retired from the lodge. The by-law that members must be of Welsh descent further restricted the number of possible candidates, but to delete this by-law would have meant the loss of the traditional Welsh atmosphere of the Lodge, which is its distinguishing characteristic.
It was W.Bro. John Jones who introduced the novel way of giving the number of the Lodge at the Installation, and also the custom, at the banquet, of the Brethren of forming a circle at the close of the evening to sing “Hen Wlad fy Nhadau.”
In the first fifty years of the Lodge’s existence records show that since its consecration 260 candidates were initiated; 38 Brethren joined the Lodge; 117 resigned; 13 rejoined; 74 died. In February 1953 the number of subscribing members was 92.
The last two World Wars and the changed economic conditions greatly reduced the numbers of people in Wales who migrated to Merseyside; this is clearly seen in the depopulated Welsh churches in Liverpool. Many of
As would be expected in such a close knit Lodge as St. David’s kinship featured strongly in its membership. This is particularly evident in the names of the Past Masters and Officers: – father/son; uncle/nephew; brothers, cousins. It is interesting to note that ten sons have followed their fathers into the Lodge. A striking example of this closeness and blood-tie occurred in 1928 when all the Principal Officers and the Inner Guard were blood brothers:-
|W.M. Henry Edward Williams||J.W. Rowland Williams|
|S.W. Edward Williams||I.G. John Percy Williams|
The Chair of King Solomon was eventually occupied by each of the brothers. Edward 1929; Rowland 1930; and John Percy Williams in 1933. John Percy was to serve St. David’s Lodge as Charity Representative. He was also held in high esteem for his dignified rendering of funeral orations.
The Lodge also had a precious, albeit tenuous link with the Founders through the son and grandson of the late W. Bro. J.C. Thomas P.Pr.G.D.C. (treasurer of the Lodge from 1911-1937). The son, W. Bro. C.G. Thomas P.Pr.J.G.W., was also treasurer. Whilst the grandson Bro. C.W. Thomas was also a member.
During the war of 1914-18 twenty-one Brethren served with the Armed Forces:-
|J. B. Davies||Edgar T. Meredith||G. M. T. Roberts|
|R. G. Edwards||D. Ewart Owen||John Roberts|
|Thomas Evans||Ellis Owen||Oswald Roberts|
|Ellis Hughes Foulkes||Roger Owen||R. H. Roberts|
|Edward Hughes||John Parry||R. Gwynne Thomas|
|David Jones||Ellis Roberts||S. R. Thomas|
|John R. Jones||Ellis Roberts (Garston)||H. E. Williams|
Air raids during the last war (1939-45) greatly affected the attendance of Brethren at the Lodge meetings, because some Brethren were on service and others on work of national importance, so that only a few were left to carry on under circumstances of danger in the black-out; for example on 20th September, 1940, there were only eight Brethren present, Brother D.J.Davies acting as Tyler.
From the following November the regular meetings of the Lodge were held on the second Saturday (afternoons) in the month and continued so until April 1944, when there was a return to the third Friday. The Brethren who served in the Armed Forces between 1939 and 1945 were:-
|D. J. Davies||R. G. Jones||Rowland Owen|
|Reece Evans||R. T. Jones||Rowland Williams|
|Ivor Griffiths||D. R. Jones||Aled Williams|
|William Hope||J. E. Jones|
|T. E. Hughes||C. B. Lettsome|
With the end of hostilities in sight a ‘Croeso Gartref’, (Welcome Home), was organised for the returning service men. All of whom were presented with a pocket wallet, a memento, to mark the occasion of their safe return.
At the same time, ever since its foundation, the Lodge funds and the purses of its members have always been open to any deserving object, Masonic or otherwise, according to the exigencies of the times. Further evidence of this generosity is the support given to testimonials to distinguished Masons, and donations to the Liverpool Cathedral and the Million Memorial Fund.
As is fitting, it is the local charities, such as the West Lancashire Masonic Educational Institution, the Alpass Benevolent Institution and the Hamer Benevolent Institution, that benefit mostly from Lodge support. During the first fifty years Lodge members contributed to these charities the total sum of £2,263, £1,353, and £1,380 respectively; while from the Lodge’s funds since 1922, donations amounting to over £1,140 were made to the Masonic charities, the official votes held by the then members for these Institutions being 603, 534 and 600 respectively.
Bro. Hugh Owen concluded his Jubilee Commemorative Souvenir with the following paragraph:
“Whilst feeling proud of those who have preceded them, the Brethren of the Lodge realise that they cannot just bask in the reflected glory of the past, and they are forging ahead and contributing to the great task that lies before them. In revering the memory of those who have gone, the Brethren of to-day may hand on the gavel of the Lodge and the Warrant for the years which lie head, in the firm confidence that our foundations have been well and truly laid”.
The unremitting care exercised by the early officers and Brethren determined the ritual standard expected from their successors. Present members are reminded how faithfully these standards are emulated, in the Masonic examples constantly witnessed and expressed in the work of the Past Masters and Senior Brethren.
The ravages of the four years of the Great War dramatically curtailed the surge forward in Universal Masonry experienced in the first decade of the century. St. David’s survived the turmoil because of the determined effort of a devoted few. It was their zeal, devotion and their ability to adapt to wartime conditions that ensured an early resumption of normality to St. David’s Lodge.
In common with other lodges, St. David’s endured the hard times following the peace and grim thirties, lasting for a brief moment the false prosperity before the tragedy of 1939. Contingency plans based on experience of World War I, were prepared to meet the abnormal conditions expected, with the sole objective of preserving the continuity of the lodge. Those who accomplished this task encountered many difficulties, especially during the dark days of the blitz. The risk of damage and loss of Lodge furnishings and regalia by enemy action was very real. The risk was considerably lessened by the Brethren undertaking to safeguard the more important items, conveying them to and from each regular Lodge meeting.
In full recovery of its functions St. David’s Lodge found strength through several of its Brethren, H.E. Jones; M. Roberts; E. Thomas; A. Richardson and J. Williams to foster and help establish a New Lodge – Woolton No. 6448 which was consecrated on the 5th February 1947.
Links were also renewed with two ‘daughter lodges’ namely Gordovic Lodge No. 4061 and the Prince Llewelyn Lodge No. 4596, the former meeting at Birkenhead and the other meeting at Wallasey. The custom of reciprocal honorary membership during their year of office for Masters of Gordovic, Prince Llewelyn and St. David’s Lodges continues to this day, as does the rendering of the Welsh national Anthem – Hen Wlad fy Nhadau – at the close of the festive board in all three Lodges.
The reduction of the number of men of Welsh descent domiciled locally meant fewer candidates for St. David’s. This situation required correction and necessitated the consideration of deleting By-law Three of the Lodge, ‘no person can be elected an ordinary member of this Lodge unless he be of Welsh descent’. After two years of heart searching, doubts, deferments and discussions, the latter ranged from the newly enacted Race Relations legislation, By-law Three, with the approval of Grand Lodge, was finally rescinded. On the 10th March 1971 St. David’s Lodge No 2950 became ‘open’. Bro. Arthur Wyn Evans became the last person to be received into the Lodge under the old By-law. It is also interesting to note that the first candidate for initiation following the deletion was Bro. Otto Ludwig Krys who was of the Jewish faith and Austrian by birth. Both these Brethren served the Lodge well. Bro. Arthur Wyn Evans at the age of thirty-one became the youngest Master and the seventy-fifth when he was installed in February 1977.
In 1954 St. David’s boasted a membership of ninety-one. By 1967 the membership had fallen to sixty-eight. The falling income relating to fewer members and the escalating cost made it imperative to consider immediate economies, such as alternative accommodation. However fate was to play an important part in this decision, for on the 13th October 1968 fire almost destroyed the Masonic Hall, Hope Street, Liverpool, the regular meeting place of St. David’s Lodge since it’s consecration in February 1903. Many Lodges were rendered homeless. St. David’s Lodge found refuge at the Masonic Hall, Island Road South, Garston, which has now become the regular venue and meeting place for the Lodge. The first Lodge meeting there was on Friday 17th October 1968
These two events, the repeal of the By Law and the move to Garston Masonic Hall, were dramatic in their impact on St. David’s. They brought vigour and vitality, expressed in the practical application of Masonry by a growing section of younger members. The average age in the Lodge dropping dramatically after 10th March 1971 to thirty-five.
The drop in membership was showing its effects in the early 1970’s with W.Bro. C. B.Lettsome being the first Past Master to be installed in the chair for the second time in 1975. This was followed by W.Bro. J.M. Jones, who, having been installed for the first time in 1973, went back into the chair in 1976 for the second time. The Lodge was honoured on that occasion by the presence of The Right Worshipful Provincial Grand Master, Sir Knowles Edge, Baronet, P.S.G.D.
W.Bro. J. M. Jones has given stalwart service to Masonry in general and St. David’s Lodge in particular. He represented the Lodge in the Liverpool Eighth Group for twenty years until handing over to W.Bro. E. S. Davies, P.Pr.J.G.W. He was also the Lodge D.C. and class Preceptor for several years and found time to assist the Lodge Charity Steward and Almoner with visitations in North Wales. He has been honoured twice by the province to P.Pr.J.G.W.
To commemorate the 75th Anniversary of St. David’s Lodge on the 17th February 1978 and as a Thanksgiving, £750 was donated to the West Lancashire Masonic Charities. The gift was made possible by the generous response of the Brethren to the concerted efforts of the Social Committee of the Lodge.
Having given you a brief history of the last seventy five years which was fairly constant it would be fair to assume that the next twenty five years would be similar but this is not so. The last twenty five years have seen great change to both Freemasonry in general and our Lodge in particular. There is still a continuing great population shift due to people moving away to work, or the distance people are prepared to travel to work and finally people moving away for their retirement.
This has resulted in some of the Brethren now living quite some distance from the Lodge with some having residences abroad. This has a double effect with attendance not being so constant and the introduction of new membership. We also have all the other modern distractions which have affected masonry in recent years, but we think that we are winning. The Lodge membership is now drawn from a very varied cross-section of Brethren of different religious denominations which has enhanced the harmony to its very high level at present.
A brief history of this period will have to include certain Brethren by name to illustrate the story but every Brother who has been involved in the Lodge has played just the same importance which has enabled the Lodge to be still in existence today and for the future.
Let us commence just prior to this period when we had to change our Bye-laws about non-Welsh membership. Bro. Otto Krys being the first candidate under this new Bye-law became Worshipful Master in 1978 and eventually became the Secretary from 1986 to 1995. He was honoured twice by the Province to P.Pr.G.Supt.of Wks and died in 2001.
Some of the Brethren who joined the Lodge under the new Bye-law now became W.M.’s and their influence became apparent with new ideas. It was ironic that W.Bro. Tom Walkden, a Brother with no Welsh connections, suggested that we had a Welsh Theme Night in 1982. W.Bro. Alan Taylor followed with the barn dances but his greatest asset to the Lodge was his ability to make, mend, fix or obtain anything that was required – a true and faithful craftsman. He was honoured twice by the Province to P.Pr.Dept.G.Supt.of Wks. And became Honorary member of the Lodge just before he died in 2002.
In 1986 Masonry had to change parts of the Ritual to meet United Grand Lodge requirements. The Worshipful Master Bro. David C. Jones and the Director of Ceremonies, W.Bro. Authur W.Evans, having been instructed at the Masonic Hall Hope Street performed the new amended Ritual in the Lodge on the 21st November 1986. During this period four Brethren became very friendly due the their office. The IPM. W.Bro. Bill Geddes; W.M. Bro. Dave Jones; S.W. Bro. Brian Weights and J.W. Bro. Les Mansley. They met regularly to practice their ritual and in turn carried out the offices to the full but unfortunately this friendship was cut short. Within a period of two years in 1989/90 W.Bro’s Bill Geddes, Brian Weights and Les Mansley had all died suddenly and the loss was immense to the Lodge.
Every Lodge has black spots and ours is no exception. At the Installation Meeting in February 1988 a ballot was conducted for a candidate when seven black balls were found in the ballot box. This resulted in the examination of future candidates preventing this happening again. Unfortunately this prospective candidate was killed in an incident a few years later.
In 1990 W.Bro’s D.C. Jones and L.F.Mansley became founder members of the Garston Lodge Of Installed Masters No 9403 but unfortunately W.Bro. L.F.Mansley died just prior to the consecration. His Founder Member’s Jewel has been suitably inscribed and is now used as the I.P.M. Jewel, which is a fitting tribute to a remarkable man and Freemason.
At the March 1990 meeting the Lodge enjoyed the fact that W.M. Bro. Derek Knox was initiating a candidate but with the following coincidence. We are a Welsh Lodge with our W.M. having been initiated in the Scottish Constitution and was initiating an English candidate on St Patrick’s night. Who said that Freemasonry is universal – this was all in one night.
During this period of time we were under the guidance of W.Bro. Arthur W. Evans who was the Lodge D.C. and Preceptor. He became aware that the St David’s Lodge Ritual had over a period of time become diluted with other rituals and practices. He undertook the mammoth task of researching the original ritual and hand wrote it to be edited by the Past Masters so that today we have our present ritual, which can be claimed to be the original ritual at the consecration. He also found time to join and become W.M. of the Clwyd Lodge of Installed Masters No 8676, Province of North Wales, in 1998. He became the M.E.Z. of Buckley Chapter No 8154, in 1999 and went back into the chair of St David’s Lodge in 2001.
In 1994 Bro. Antony M. Otter became the youngest Worshipful Master of the Lodge at the age of thirty, having joined at the age of twenty-one. He also went back into the chair in 1997.
The Lodge has celebrated several 50th’s, 60th’s and even a 65thCelebration in recent years and has fulfilled all of the Provincial Festivals by donating to the Charities and receiving the certificates, jewels or other tokens to mark the special occasions.
Bro’s Reece Evans and R.T.Jones celebrated their 50 years in Masonry in 1990 and 1995 respectively and were acknowledged by the Lodge.
Bro Reece Evans celebrated his 60 years in Masonry on the 15thSeptember 2000 in the presence of W.Bro D. K. McCormick Assistant Provincial Grand Master P.S.G.D.
W.Bro Charles Brinley Lettsome P.A.G.D.C. celebrated his 50 years in Masonry on Thursday 10th April 1986. It should have been Friday 18th April but this was Good Friday and therefore not appropriate so a dispensation was obtained for the new date. The Lodge was honoured with the presence of The Right Worshipful Provincial Grand Master Bro Alan Fletcher Ferris.
On Friday the 19th April 1996 W.Bro Charles Brinley Lettsome celebrated his 60 years in Masonry. The Lodge celebrated the occasion and was honoured with the presence of The Right Worshipful Provincial Grand Master Bro Kenneth Edward Moxley.
On Friday the 20th April 2001 W.Bro Charles Brinley Lettsome celebrated his 65 years in Masonry. The Lodge celebrated the occasion and was honoured with the presence of The Right Worshipful Provincial Grand Master Bro Colin Penty Wright.
The Lodge is indebted to W. Bro Charles Brinley Lettsome and we congratulate him on all of his promotions in the Province and his Grand Lodge rank to P.A.G.D.C., also for his continuous membership to the Lodge in particular and Masonry in general which the Lodge have acknowledge with Honorary Membership.
The Lodge has bestowed Honorary Membership to other Brethren of Welsh connection, who were not Brethren of the Lodge during its long existence. In 1960 the Very Worshipful Deputy Provincial Grand Master, Bro. Thomas W. Ward, P.G.D. accepted honorary membership. In recent years W.Bro. Dr. D.J. Davies Past Asst.Prov. Grand Master, P.G.D. enjoyed this privilege until he died in 1997. In March 1998 the Right Hon. The Earl Cadogan P.S.G.W. became an Honorary Member and still is today.
All of the other recent Past Masters have enhanced Masonry in our Lodge with all of them giving something that we will remember their year both, in the Lodge and socially. They have chosen different social evenings and venues to maintain the continuous interest enjoyed by all.
There is one Brother who if there was a prize would certainly win. W. Bro Roy Newall has the best attendance record to all of the regular meetings, Committee meetings and social functions held by the Lodge which is a 100% but he thinks he may have missed one or two.
The Lodge still keeps up with the tradition of Father and Son membership. At present we have W.Bro. G. D. Lewtas who introduced his father, Bro. L. Lewtas and W.Bro. H. Palin, who introduced his son Bro. R. A. Palin.
Our 100th Master is W.Bro Edward John Stanley Roberts who was initiated into masonry in North Wales and became the W.M. of a Cheshire Lodge some years ago. He became a joining member of the Lodge and we were pleased that he accepted to become our W.M. in 2002. He is confined to his wheel chair therefore the Lodge has had to adapt to perform the Ceremonies and we have enjoyed the Three Degrees performed to our recent candidate Bro Michael John Yip a young Brother from a well known Chinese family.
To commence the Centenary Year the Lodge membership stands as follows: 2 Honorary Members, 24 Fully Subscribing Members and 9 Country Members. The average age of membership being approximately 45 years. The Senior subscribing Member is W.Bro. John Medwyn Jones, P.Pr.J.G.W.
Most of the Brethren of the Lodge can relate their own stories and memories of our Lodge but space only allows just a few. If you wish to know more then mingle and talk to the Brethren but ensure that you have got the time to listen. You could be speaking to Bro. Reece Evans or W.Bro. Charles Brinley Lettsome who have a wealth of knowledge being our longest serving and faithful members, they both have a lot to tell.
The Centenary Warrant is dated 20th February 2003 therefore this Centenary Celebration is a month late because the Lodge installed its new Worshipful Master Bro David John Brighouse on Friday the 21st February 2003, being the Lodges regular Installation night.
St. David’s Lodge has enjoyed its Masonry in recent years at Garston Masonic Hall. It celebrated its Centenary Celebration in Liverpool Masonic Hall, Hope Street, which is where it was consecrated.
Masters of St. David’s Lodge 2950
|1903||Bro. Thomas Edwards||1953||Bro. J.W. Evans|
|1904||Bro. R. R. Roberts||1954||Bro. Charles Brinley Lettsome|
|1905||Bro. John Jones||1955||Bro. E. Owen|
|1906||Bro. Baron H. Williams||1956||Bro. R. Roberts|
|1907||Bro. Henry Jones||1957||Bro. H. R. Williams|
|1908||Bro. Henry B. Lloyd||1958||Bro. B. Parry|
|1909||Bro. Griff. Jones Roberts||1959||Bro. M. O. Roberts|
|1910||Bro. Henry Francis||1960||Bro. C. G. Thomas|
|1911||Bro. Lewis Hughes||1961||Bro. T. W. Jones|
|1912||Bro. John Hughes||1962||Bro. W. Williams|
|1913||Bro. Gabriel Williams||1963||Bro. W. O. Jones|
|1914||Bro. Robert Roberts||1964||Bro. L. J. Carr|
|1915||Bro. Evan Samuel Davies||1965||Bro. W. A. Onslow|
|1916||Bro. Owen Williams||1966||Bro. D. E. Davies|
|1917||Bro. R. White Williams||1967||Bro. S. Reece|
|1918||Bro. David Reynolds||1968||Bro. R. H.Sowrey|
|1919||Bro. J. Evans Thomas||1969||Bro. H. A. Jones|
|1920||Bro. R. Coetmor Jones||1970||Bro. G. O. Simon|
|1921||Bro. Thomas John Parry||1971||Bro. J. W. Parry|
|1922||Bro. William Henry Thomas||1972||Bro. J. P. Roberts|
|1923||Bro. Thomas Hughes||1973||Bro. John Medwyn Jones|
|1924||Bro. J. Parry Williams||1974||Bro. Morgan Stuart Edmonds|
|1925||Bro. Henry Edward Jones||1975||W. Bro. Charles Brinley Lettsome|
|1926||Bro. Oswald Roberts||1976||W.Bro. John Medwyn Jones|
|1927||Bro. David Jones||1977||Bro. Arthur Wyn Evans|
|1928||Bro. Henry Edwards Williams||1978||Bro. Otto Ludwig Krys|
|1929||Bro. Edward Williams||1979||Bro. R. W. King|
|1930||Bro. Rowland Williams||1980||Bro. K. R. Davies|
|1931||Bro. Richard Owen Thomas||1981||Bro. Alan Taylor|
|1932||Bro. Samuel Robert Thomas||1982||Bro. Thomas Walkden|
|1933||Bro. John Percy Williams||1983||Bro. A. C. Evans|
|1934||Bro. John Edward Davies||1984||Bro. Eric Sidney Davies|
|1935||Bro. Morris Roberts||1985||Bro. W. G. Geddes|
|1936||Bro. Daniel Davies||1986||Bro. David Charles Jones|
|1937||Bro. Edwin Thomas||1987||Bro. C. B. Weights|
|1938||Bro. Abraham Jones||1988||Bro. L. F. Mansley|
|1939||Bro. John Prichard||1989||Bro. Anthony James Parton|
|1940||Bro. Howell Evans||1990||Bro. D. Knox|
|1941||Bro. Evan Evans||1991||Bro. Alun Vaughan Jones|
|1942||Bro. R. Gwynne Thomas||1992||W.Bro. Alan Taylor|
|1943||Bro. Edward Owen Jones||1993||Bro. Richard Edward Hignett|
|1944||Bro. Hugh Thomas Williams||1994||Bro. Antony Maximillian Otter|
|1945||Bro. Evan Davies||1995||Bro. Stephen Edward Carroll|
|1946||Bro. Herbert George Roden||1996||Bro. Roy Newall|
|1947||Bro. Thomas Evans||1997||W.Bro Anthony M. Otter|
|1948||Bro. David John Davies||1998||Bro. Raymond Leslie Gilligan|
|1949||Bro. Edward Cecil Williams||1999||Bro. Harry Palin|
|1950||Bro. Rowland Williams||2000||Bro. Graham David Lewtas|
|1951||Bro. Ivor Griffiths||2001||W.Bro. Arthur Wyn Evans|
|1952||Bro. Charles H. Griffiths||2002||W.Bro. Edward John S. Roberts|
|2003||Bro David John Brighouse|